Wednesday, November 10, 2010

List of Publications Accepting Submissions and Deadlines--Cool Resource!

Just found a pretty lengthy list of publications accepting submissions--with links to the publications: http://www.christwriters.info/open-submissions.php. It includes everything from Redbook to Christian devotional type publications. The same website also has a link to deadlines of contests, calls for content, etc. due this fall: http://www.christwriters.info/deadlines.php. Quite educational. For anyone without a Writer's Market book, this is a good second source.

Today I sent out a manuscript in answer to one of those listing I mentioned at the above resource. We'll see what happens! In fact, today I sent out three manuscripts--one to MomSense mag, another to Parents (when I can find my stamps, that is...) and the last to a Guideposts compilation book. With my recent mixed experiences as I talked of in my recent post, "My First 'On Spec' Assignment for a Magazine," I'm choosing to deal with it by attacking the market--sending, sending, sending. If it's about ratios, then the more i send, the more can possibly succeed. I've let too many manuscripts chill too long already. So if you're in the same boat--take courage, and send, send, send!

Someone in my writers' group shared some other person's goal to get 100 rejections in a year. Obviously, some acceptances had to come along with them, but putting the weight ion the rejection by stating the goal that way kinda shifts the disappointment. To meet that goal, you must send a lot--and that helps with the real goal to get published more often. I wonder ho many rejections (or implied rejections) I have garnered so far.... Maybe 20?
(Also, I remind myself of the purpose of rejection, and my personal theory for viewing it productively, which I blogged about before too.)

No comments:

Post a Comment