Saturday, September 11, 2010

My First "On Spec" Writing Assignment for a Magazine

Months ago I reveled in getting the editor of one of my favorite magazines, Mothering,  corresponding with me! I sent a standard query letter for my idea on an article topic, and after two months, she sent back a reply that they were interested in the topic. I was given the first go-ahead for an "on spec' writing assignment. There was no guarantee they'd buy it, but I had gotten their attention.

Now this was not my first attempt--with that idea or with that magazine. I'd already sent a manuscript to Mothering about four months ago, a birth narrative essay, and the response was a gracious no; so I re-sent it out and Midwifery Today is publishing that essay in its next issue, which has since been published.

So I embarked on writing up the idea as I described and ran into a couple roadblocks. One, I found in writing it that I came to something of a different conclusion than I expected, which changed the flavor of the piece as I originally described it. Secondly, I became aware of two completely different ways I could handle it and wasn't sure which the magazine would prefer. I ended up writing it two ways--one as a more philosophical personal essay, and the second more as a typical  collection of interviews from other moms sharing their stories on the topic. I wrote an email asking for a little more direction, and the response I got, after I'd already written my two drafts, told me the second approach was more what the editor was looking for.

I sent it in, and for a long time ( a number of weeks) just waited to hear if they likde it, if it's what matches their vision for the magazine, etc. I tried not to let myself second guess every decision I make, thinking with the lapse of time that maybe I should have been softer or harder on the view presented, if I should have structured it differently,  if my voice should have been different, etc.

The final answer was no, a short, to the point decision with no explanation. I was quit brash and emailed a request, respectfully asking that if the answer was simple and short, if they could let me know if it was the content or style that influenced their decision (since I already knew the topic was of interest.) I didn't really expect a response, and I got none. I do know from the other side of the editing desk how pressed for time an editor is, and even as much as one might want to help a writer, the time to do so just slips away--no, is eaten away by a fierce pit bull!   However, I now know it is harder to take a rejection on a "on spec" article than any other unsolicited manuscript--to have gotten so far in communication with an editor, knowing you've succeeded in getting their attention, it all makes it seem so much more possible--then the rejection is worse because you were so close to success. But I have a theory about rejection, a view of my own purpose as a writer, which helps me handle rejection pretty well I think.

As a potentially better ending to the article's story, I did send it to another magazine, and that editor asked if she could keep it on hand for four months, for consideration in the next issue. And after having fretted about my style being the cause for it's previous rejection, this editor said she "liked my style." That's encouraging.

Articles I've written which I really like (compared to my others):

Fast Food, Junk Food and Obesity Subsidized by Federal Government

When Miscarriage Means Labor

Governments Issue Warnings and Restrictions for Kids' Mobile Phone Use

The Cell Phone/cigarette Analogy

Breast Cancer Less About Genetics Than We Used to Think

Transferring Your Values About Sex to Your Kids: Timing and Definitions are Key


No comments:

Post a Comment