Friday, November 5, 2010

Why is Facebook Failing as a Marketing Tool for Me?

Facebook used to be the by-far largest source of traffic to my articles (published on content websites) I posted there. Now, facebook is fourth on my list of sources for viewers. Google searches is the top source, followed by Gomestic, one of the sites I am published on, then Healthmad, another I write for. That is quite a flip from my first months' experiences.

I've often wondered if I'd simply exhausted the facebook audience. Were my topics just not of interest? Did my friends just learn my general stance on issues and, if they did not have a great investment in that view, deem my articles not of interest?

It's a gamble. I mean, I'd not have expected an article on diapers to gain that much attention. Last month I wrote about new studies on post-partum depression anddevelopmental delays being associated with fire retardants in a baby's umbilical cord. Those topics were the ones I expected to be noticed, but they got mere handfulls of views. My latest series (which I actually wrote way back in April), on financially making stay-at-home-parenting work, was a dismal failure. Each of the 4 parts have gained only 3 or 6 views, and I can't know if any of them actually came from facebook traffic. That's probably a work of 4,000 words and has so far not benefited much of anyone yet let alone earned me any financial gain, even pennies.

I'm taking a break from content writing, at least for a time. I feel relief in taking a break from posting on fb so much. Sometimes I felt self-conscious about it. I didn't want people to feel bludgeoned over the head with my articles. But then I reminded myself, no one is forced to read anything--I passively add the link, but there is no expectation. At least, no more than I feel when I see other friends post a link. And I remind myself that when I see others' links, it's totally comfortable for me--they're there for my to click if I'm interested, and if not, I just scroll down. Sometimes I still felt bad though if my fb activity were viewed as strictly self-promotional. I tried to balance that by making sure all I posted wasn't just articles. After all, people are my fb friends cuz they like me, not necessarily because they like my writing. And I realized too that I don't ever feel offended when fb friends do promote themselves. I have many friends with etsy shops and such who post pictures of their new items for sale. I genuinely enjoy seeing them even if I'm not interested in buying. Likewise, a friend of mine owns a bookstore and all his posts are about books he's trying to sell. Again, I never see that as pushy or annoying. That's just simply what I expect of a Hearts and Minds Bookstore post. I hope that's how people have viewed my posting of articles.

While I don't know the why of all this, what is certain is that what used to be profitable for me no longer is, in any measure. I don't have my final answer on strategy or a decision about quitting the content gigs. 

Articles I've written:


2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't give up the FB scene by any means. I think people just get a busy and don't bother to read as frequently -- but it doesn't mean they don't find what you say interesting. I can definitely attest to that. I love hearing what you have to say when I get a free moment. I definitely appreciate the work that goes in to each other. But I'm also glad you're finding joy in novel writing again, yay! That does my heart good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (ignore the spelling errors - sigh)

    ReplyDelete