Monday, November 22, 2010

Does Writing Success Come in Groups of Three?

I had a dream that I was telling my writer's group that a few devotionals I wrote were published in God Stories 6, a regional publication for Central PA, all writers of the region sharing personal experiences to create a year's worth of daily mediations. I woke up the next morning and read an email that I really was published in that book: http://www.dcfi.org/House2House/One_Devotional_2011.html. i'm pretty sure that's the first time I've published in a book compilation.

The next day, I received an email from Chicken Soup for Soul people that a piece was officially accepted, and they wanted my final OK for the final edit. I had known my story was in the final running, but was also told that the decision wouldn't be made until March of 2011, so being told now was a surprise!

Those two developments, in a span of days, was really encouraging. As some aspects of my writing have no been so rewarding... I've been trying to freelance for magazines, but haven't gotten anywhere since September, and the online content website enterprise is on the back burner for now; I sort of forget sometimes that I write in 2 other markets: devotionals and personal essays.

So now I've got 5 official publishing credits from the traditional publishing world. (That's not counting online content stuff) I'll keep plugging away. And as always, I know not to measure my success by $ or by the number of publications--it's a calling, not merely work.

It'll be interesting to see, after this venture really takes off, at what point (as in number of months since starting) it really took on momentum. I'm still waiting for it...

PS After I wrote this, I got an email from an editor of a parenting magazine , wanting to buy my article for the Feb/March issue! (My newest blog entry catalogs this experience of breaking into parenting magazines.)

Some recent publications:

What is a Disposable Diaper Made of Anyway?

Postpartum Depression, Psychological Distress Predicted by Previous Traumatic Birth

http://www.youandmemagazine.com/articles/vulvodynia-five-years-in-the-fire

Infertility, Delayed Conception Linked to Fire Retardants in Homes

Transferring Your Values About Sex to Your Kids: Timing and Definitions are Key

No comments:

Post a Comment