Saturday, September 11, 2010

Is Writing for Online Content Websites Hurting My Writing Career?

posted on old blog June 29, 2010


I started out trying this freelance writing thing by trying to put one foot each in both the traditional print magazine world and the new online content-website way of publishing. Was this the best way to start my writing career? Only time can tell, I guess.

One doubt I had and have heard, is that dividing your time will keep you from giving either your all, and success in the writing business requires doggedness. I have found it to be true. I'm always seeing what I need to do in one venue to capitalize on a recent success, but in doing it, I realize I'm putting the other on hold, losing ground.

So I go in alternating streaks. I've been currently working on getting an article ready for one of my favorite magazines. I wrote a couple months ago, querying a story idea. Last week, I got a reply that the topic was of interest and they'd like to see my article 'on spec,' though that is certainly no commitment that they'll like my article after I put in the time to conduct my interviews, research and write it. So while I've been focusing on that, I've been frustrated by the unfinished articles for the online content sites I write for.

I tend to write articles in groups--usually one idea proves to be too big for a single article online, so I end up breaking it into 2 or more. The problem with that is, I don't want to publish any until they are all done, because they link together. And sometimes it takes me weeks or even months to finish because my time is not my own as I raise very small children--time tomyself is no guarantee!

For instance the other week, I published "Yeast and Infant Thrush Outbreaks; Basic and Advanced Survival Tips." I had plans already for a part 2, but not the time to write it, but at the end I mentioned a second part was coming. It's been 23 days and I still haven't linked the companion article (let alone finished it!) And really, that second part is the important part all else just paved the way for!
I had goals when I started about writing a certain number of queries a week. In fact, I once had the goal of writing 1 query a day to print publications. Then I got down to just trying to get one out a WEEK! Now, there's really not even a goal. I realize I've become slave to writing and finishing pieces. That doesn't sound bad for a writer, huh? But it's really bad if you're a writer who wants to make money!

My goals, when I began, were solely in regard to print publications. I think the online venue was secondary--something to do to fill time when I knew there would be waiting. But a strange thing happens. It's a magic that truly has a sadistic psychological hold on a content writer; those who run the websites really know what they're doing. By allowing us writers to see and tracks everything, it's easy for us to get addicted to seeing how articles perform. Now, it is useful and necessary if we want to succeed--but at a certain point, you may realize you're being motivated to see increases that actually amount to very little. If the print world sent us letters in the mail that an article we wrote made three cents today, we'd quickly lose momentum. But something about all the little measurements on Triond, the content site I write for, can become addicting and you have to discipline yourself to just not look so much so you can focus on that article for a magazine that could pay you $300 instead! (Even after I've seen how an article can take off and earn far more than mere cents a day, it is still true that you can't predict when and which articles will take off. Even after such success, you cannot duplicate it on your own. It's truly up to readers who repost articles in forums, chat rooms, on facebook, etc. Yes, I have to write it well and can be smart about SEO search terms and keywords, but in the end, I can't predict popularity with absolute certainty. I certainly wouldn't have guessed that my most popular article would be "What's in a Disposable Diaper Anyway?")

This sheds light too on how trying to succeed in the print world hurts my chances of really making it economically worthwhile to do it the online content way.  The key is in quantity of articles and really keeping on top of marketing your articles and piggy backing off success immediately. When you have a articles earning very slowly, it doesn't seem like much in the beginning, but (so the experienced ones say and the publishers claim) over time, compensation grows exponentially. I've read that the magic number for many people is 200 articles--things seem to take a turn there somehow. Because it is true that it's like a snowball--articles feed off the momentum of other articles you've written. Others mention an amount of time--a year. For me, I know I won't have near 200 articles in a year. There is an MD I read sometimes who seems to publish 5-10 articles every couple days--she's very serious about it. But I don't have the resources to be so consistent and industrious, even if I knew for sure the income would be as it is claimed.

So in the end, I'm sure that trying to follow both writing opportunities is hurting each individual endeavor. And yet, each has its own benefits over the other, and I cannot yet ascertain which is the better way to go. Well, actually, I am motivated by the fact that print pays so much better up front. While online articles may eventually earn comparably, selling an article for a couple hundred next week is preferable. So for now I'll continue with one foot in each door until one door opens so wide that I'm in.
Writing for content websites has given me more than the value of immediate cash; it has really helped my writing because of the feedback from readers and the exposure boosted my confidence when I was still thinking of myself as a mushy mommy-brain. The articles I wrote that really helped galvanize what I'm now doing are:
Are Schools Expecting Our Kids to Read Too Early?
Chef Jamie Oliver Vs. School Lunches: Where Do the Dietary Guidelines Come From Anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment