Thursday, January 19, 2012

A Day Well Spent Following My Own Advice

Today I actually did what I say I want to do: I worked on my novel for about 30-40 minutes this morning, after my husband went to work. Then during the kids' nap, I edited a quick (literally an hour or less of work) article in response to a magazine's call for articles on eating at restaurants with kids, then sent out an article I wrote nearly 2 years ago to an anthology calling for submissions on the topic.

See, my goal is to stop writing so many new articles, and instead redirect the time to 1) my novel and 2) finding homes for the articles already done.

I tell myself the article on eating out with kids was OK because it was not time-consuming; I'm just trying not to rope myself into 10, 20, 40 hours of work on an article that may never see the light falling on a printed page. Or even for one that will get printed, because I've got this goal to complete my novel draft in July!

All in all, this was a good writing day--a day when I feel accomplished, having finally obeyed my own pronouncements about my priorities. These days are rare...

Keep writing! We'll all get there if we keep writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment