Saturday, January 14, 2012

Perseverance--most important skill for selling your writing?

I was giving up on the article. I'd written it a year ago, and had failed to sell it to the few magazines I thought would be interested. The topic was herbal remedies for common ailments--typical things like colds, fevers, poison ivy, etc. As has happened before, I was just behind the trend, not right on it. Parents magazine had just done a similar multi-page article, and Kiwi magazine was addressing the topic regularly through a monthly column. After magazines I thought would be interested declined, I even tried a small website that published things for natural-minded mommies, and I got no response even then. I'd thought my article would be an easier sell than my longer articles; I rarely write short, and this was around 800 words.

My default plan of publication is publishing online through a content writing site; I've really fallen off writing for them; the financial rewards are far below what I'm making in other print arenas. But if I can't sell an article to a magazine, it's a good last-ditch effort to make something, rather than nothing, off of an article. So that was my plan--but I was slow in getting it done (even though the sooner I'd place the article on the site, the sooner it could earn....)

Meanwhile, while I was "not getting around to it," a local magazine editor responded to a list of article ideas I'd sent her a while back. She pulled 3 of my 5 suggestions and said she wanted me to write on them--2 due in mere weeks, another for later in the year. She said she was doing a special issue in March/April on green living, so my 2 natural/green-lifestyle ideas (natural makeup/skin care products and natural birth prep) fit what she was looking for. With 3 assignments snagged, I felt pretty good--I'd never gotten as much repeat business from a client yet. Then the next day, a germ of an idea grew in my mind. If the editor was looking for green lifestyle ideas, what about my herbal medicine cabinet article I was about to give up on?

Now, this editor doesn't accept already-written articles--she doesn't even operate through the traditional query system that magazines use. She's a newspaper gal and the magazine is produced by the newspaper, so it's a different style altogether. But I gave it a shot anyway--retitled the article "Greening your first aid kit", explained I'd already been working on it and wondered if she might find it interesting for the March/April issue.

Her response: "I love it. Just throw in a couple quotes from local natural health professionals, and it's done."
So I'd gotten 4 assignments! And one almost done!

And to think, I'd almost given up on that article. I'd almost turned it in for chump change, but now, I've gotten considerably more already direct-deposited into my bank account for it! Not to mention, I've gotten an article out to the reading public on a topic I'm very passionate about and think is important info.

So here's the lesson: Keep looking for other places to sell; don't give up!

Other articles I've published.
Treating Depression with Natural or Alternative Medicine


Is Lyme Disease Lurking in Your Unexplained Symptoms?


Baby Food: Save money by Making Your Own

Potty Training: Cloth Diapers vs. Disposables

Cloth Diapers Versus Disposables: Switching Systems


2 comments:

  1. You inspire me with your perseverance and drive, Renee. I could learn so much from you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Green Grandma, you could learn from me? I'd think it was the other way around!

    ReplyDelete