Thursday, February 2, 2012

Prescription: Writer's Retreat, 1 dose for three consecutive days

I said I was going to cut back on freelancing for magazines to devote more time to completing the first draft of my novel by July. Followers also probably wondered if I was sticking to that goal at all, based on my posts about taking on more assignments! Yes, I've been shooting my novel in the foot with article success. In December particularly, I took too many assignments and barely touched the novel.

So how can I get myself back on track with my goal to complete the first draft by this summer? When I know I say it, and then still keep taking more freelancing opportunities?

It's just that I really like freelancing. It's that magazine article writing is very manageable, finite, and comes with a firm reward and pay at the end. I like the satisfaction of completing something and getting paid (however low it may be at some publications...) I get weary sometimes of writing something to difficult, so long-term that I can barely see the light at the end of the tunnel. Freelancing revived my love of writing, many times--but there is too much of a good thing. I said I'd stop seeking new assignments after Christmas. That too has not been true. I was seduced multiple times by call-outs for a few magazines.

When I set my July goal for the novel draft, I thought I was being generous, thinking I could even finish by January. It's now February...

I needed some accountability and encouragement, clearly! So I went to a three-day fiction writing retreat though Aaron's Bookstore in Lititz, PA, featuring editor Kate Kennedy and author Susan Gregg Gilmore (Searching for Salvation at the Dairy Queen and The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove).I hoped it'd energize me towards completing my novel.

So far, so good. As I drove home last night from the conference, my mind was at warp speed entertaining new possibilities for getting my characters to that end--my mind thinking about basic equestrian knowledge, Shakespeare's Much Ado about Nothing that I'll have to brush up on, and beach scenes. I got up at 6 with my husband this morning and put in over an hour toward moving my novel towards its end in the plot.

And now I'm going to take that inspiration and work some more this afternoon. But I hope, in later posts, to share what I learned at the writing retreat. But for now, I've got to use my drive to write for the novel!


Articles I've published recently:


Job Search: How to Make Your Application Climb to The Top of The Pile

Lyme Disease and Autism Patients Prescribed Diets Free of Genetically Modified Foods

How Much Genetically Modified Food Do You Eat?

Prostate Cancer: Nutrients for Prevention and Defense

No comments:

Post a Comment