Sunday, September 2, 2012

Getting More Writing Assignments

Oh, the irony of it all! I decided to hang up my hat as a freelance writer for periodicals after finishing one last article in May. And I did. That's why it's funny that now I have, for the first time, reached the point where editors I'd written for a year or 2 ago have seen the long-term interest generated by my original article and want me to write more for them! And just after I'd determined my life doesn't have room for that particular venture....

The editor of You and Me: America's Medical Magazine wants a follow-up article to one I wrote because he said it has generated so many requests from women to get in touch with me to find out more about what I wrote regarding vulvodynia.  That was my first paid article I wrote two years ago, and the article's presence online in the magazine is still getting me new emails. I am considering writing that follow-up article, mostly because there's just so little information out there; it's not like other topics where "some other writer could do it." Other invitations though, I'm not so sure I'll do. I really don't have time in my life of re-routed priorities.

But what I've learned is encouraging: if I write quality articles, editors will remember me and SEARCH me out. So take heart, you other freelancers out there! That is pretty cool. I'm grateful to have found that to be true.


Articles of mine online:

Choose Your Best Birth Options

Women Find Courage on the Other Side of Pregnancy/Infant Loss

Organic Food: Eight Benefits for You and Your Children

High Fructose Corn Syrup: Thirteen Reasons to Avoid It

2 comments:

  1. Greatly encouraging, Renee! You have a pretty important WIP currently. Can't wait to see you again at M2M.

    If you have an "In" with a health editor, I have an article I wrote about sleep apnea and its effects on heart health I am wondering where to submit. I will email it to you if you're interested and have time.

    Linda Phelps

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, thank you! Sadly, I won't be going to M2M anymore. I enjoyed my 5 years there, but our life has outgrown it. i'm starting another group that meets at a time that works with the new schedule of my life.

    I'll message you about the article.

    ReplyDelete