Sunday, September 2, 2012

A Baby Changes Everything


Those of you who read previous blogs of mine might recall that I set myself a deadline for completing a draft of my novel. (Deadline For Complete Novel Draft) I said beginning of July, which later changed to end of July. But the reality was that by end of July, I could not have claimed to have even opened a file since perhaps April! Under normal conditions, this would be a huge blow to my ego and sense of self-worth, not just my goals, but I had unwritten caveats that I knew form the beginning could and should derail my goal. And any of you who know me personally know that I have been pregnant since April, and that is why my writing came to an almost complete standstill. The fatigue of the first trimester was so great that all the writing I could manage was one big article I was writing for a magazine. It was astonishing how difficult and plodding the writing of that article was; I felt like my brain matter had been sucked out of my skull! I knew I would write nothing but that article for the month of May, and sadly, even when the article was done, I was still so tired, I still didn't get back to the novel.

Something more than just lack of energy happened though; I was at a complete standstill in writing the novel because I'd lost my ability to make decisions. I was nearing the end which requires that I not simply meander but do the complex tasks of wrapping all the plot threads up. I found I couldn't simply phone that in, and the parts of my brain responsible for creative thinking seemed utterly shut down!

So as July and my deadline loomed, I knew it wasn't happening. But I did do something: I registered for a conference featuring a clinic with a published novelist (Joyce Magnin) for the purpose of getting some direction, inspiration and motivation because my new goal is to complete the first draft before the baby comes in December.

I did go to the conference, a month ago now, and I can proudly say I've actually been writing again!  I'm not so tired as I was, now that I'm a bit over half-way through the pregnancy, and some creativity has returned. (Though I can't yet say I'm at the top of my game; I still feel somewhat foggy and creatively handicapped.)  But I am just glad to be writing again and proud of the fact that I did, with some help of the conference clinic, solve some problems in my plot and figure out how my ending will occur--though I still have a lot of details to iron out. I'm getting the excitement back and am more motivated to finish Asher's story. I WILL complete this novel!


Articles I've written, available online:

Choose Your Best Birth Options

Natural Deodorants: Do Any Work as Effectively as Popular Commercial Brands?

Your Body is Electric-- How Electromagnetic Fields From Cell Phones, Wireless Devices Interact with Your Body’s Nervous System

Breast Cancer Less About Genetics Than We Used to Think

No comments:

Post a Comment