Tuesday, February 15, 2011

How to Find More Time to Write

I was just reading a book where a writer talked about finding 9 hours a week to write (beyond his full-time job and family responsibilities), just by utilizing 15-20 minute segments here and there. It sounds nice, but it's hard trying to get my writing muscles to work under such constraints!

In my previous post, I talked about how much of the time I used to write has disappeared, but I've been slowly rearranging my life to find more time, and this post is about what success I've finally managed in finding time.

Back in September, my husband requested I get up early with him so we could do breakfast together, alone. As much as I hate early morning, I also found it gave me a bit of writing time after breakfasting and showering. But lately, as my situation has changed, I've been utilizing the early mornings to the max:

1) I put off the shower for another time during the day and instead start writing as soon as my husband leaves for work. Some days the kids sleep for an hour after my husband leaves; other days they don't.

2) I designate it as TV time when they wake up early, instead of letting them watch TV later in the morning as I used to, just to let me finish whatever I was in the midst of.

3) I prepare breakfast casseroles at night for my kids' breakfasts that I simply heat in the oven the next morning, or put steel-cut oats on the stove, letting me write while it cooks itself!

4) I've made nap time writing more predictable (after a series of weeks when my preschooler awoke after merely 45 minutes) by using a sleep training clock for him. He's now able to tell, for himself, if it's time to get up yet or whether he needs to stay in his room, try to sleep more, or quietly read a book until the clock's monkey's eyes open. This way, I've been getting one hour and forty-five minutes to write in the afternoon, sometimes shortened or interrupted by my youngest's early waking, but having to deal with only one child's early waking is much easier than two. It equals more days of writing afternoons!

5)I need to start taking an evening every couple weeks to go off by myself and write--but it's not been possible lately cuz with birthdays, Valentine's day, my writer's meetings and book club meetings. I've been gone once a week from the house already, using relatives as babysitters. Maybe after things calm down in a couple weeks, I can start writing 2 evenings a month. I very much need to get out of the house to do some of this work. My husband got me a gift card for a bookstore cafe as a Christmas gift, and I've not even used it yet!

Some weeks I ordain my morning writing segment for my novel alone, or for short articles for content websites, saving the afternoon time for magazine articles. Other times, if I have some sort of deadline, I work on only that piece until it's done. Here are some articles I've accomplished writing in my early mornings, with my new strategy for writing for content websites:

Harnessing The Power of Waves--a Cheaper, Greener Solution to Energy Crisis

How to Avoid Nutrient Depletion Caused by Your Prescription Drugs

Natural Family Planning: Success and Reliability?

Milk's Health Benefits: Highly Protective Against Diabetes and Best Sports Drink

Pregnancy Due Date: Why Do So Few Women Deliver That Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment